Consecutive interpreting is a process of translation which involves the speaker and the interpreter or translator. The speaker delivers the speech using the source language in divided several segments or with short pauses to allow the interpreter to translate.
This is known as the listen, talk, and pause method. The translator usually stands or sits beside the speaker listening carefully to what is being spoken while taking down notes. The interpreter waits for the speaker to finish a section of the speech before translating to the target language.
It is also considered as the most popular type of interpretation work.
When Will You Need Consecutive Interpreting?
This type of interpretation is advantageous when used in the following occasions:
- Confidential hearings
- Attorney-client meeting
- Court deposition
- Medical appointments
- Social welfare visits
- Human resources training
- Business proposal or presentation
- Parent-teacher conferences
What are the Advantages of Consecutive Interpreting?
There are great advantages and benefits when using a professional translation services if consecutive interpreting is necessary:
- It does not require special equipment like the ones needed when doing a simultaneous interpreting such as soundproof interpreter’s booth, headphones with noise cancellation capabilities, and audio consoles
- Better quality of translation is assured since the interpreter has enough time to convey the message accurately with proper tone of voice and emotion
- The interpreter has a better grasp of what needs to be translated because he or she can refer to the written notes when necessary and not exclusively from memory
- Higher level of accuracy results from less distraction for the interpreter as he or she does not have to listen and talk at the same time (compared to simultaneous interpreting)
- Better understanding for the audience as they can focus well on the language they understand and speak
- The attention of the audience increases as they can hear and see at the same time the intonation and body language of the speaker and/or interpreter
- It creates an environment where the audience are free and encouraged to interact
Why do I need a Consecutive Interpreter for my business?
For a business conference with foreign representatives in attendance, consecutive interpreting is necessary for the meeting to run smoothly. This is your effort to make sure that no one is left behind. Attendees who speak different languages need to feel included to be able to relate, participate, and share their views.