- OFWs are required to submit various documents that verify their identity and qualifications, as well as the specifics of their employment.
- Depending on the country, you may need to get translation services and provide a certificate of true translation for your documents.
- You can get a FREE quote from Elite Translations for certified translation services. We provide a certificate of true translation with your translated documents.
Understanding the Essential Documents Required for OFWs
Before getting the go-ahead to work abroad, aspiring overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) must first prepare a lot of paperwork to verify their identity, qualifications, and guarantee of a job.
These documents typically contain the information needed to vet foreign workers, and as such, applicants may also need a translation services provider to deliver certified translations of documents as required by agencies, embassies, and employers.
As an applicant, you must know all the essential documents and whether or not you need a translations company to provide the necessary document translations.
Here’s a quick guide to all the documents required for OFWs—and why a professional translation service may help smoothen the flow of your application process.
What documents do you need to be an OFW?
Certain documents are necessary for you to be able to work and live abroad. These include:
- Valid Passport. The passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of travel.
- Work Visa or Permit. This document allows OFWs to work legally in their country of destination.
- Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC). OEC is issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and serves as proof that the OFW is a documented worker.
- Employment Contract. This is a legal document that outlines the terms and conditions of the OFW’s employment, such as salary, job responsibilities, and duration of the contract.
- Certificate of Employment (CoE). This document serves as proof of the OFW’s work experience and is sometimes required by employers abroad.
- Training or Certification Documents. For some industries such as healthcare or hospitality, OFWs might need to provide proof of training or certification in order to be employed.
- Birth Certificate. This document is required for identification purposes and is often needed to apply for a passport.
Ensure your documents are complete and up-to-date to avoid issues. For accurate translations, trust a reliable professional translation service.
Which Documents Require Certified Translations?
Some immigration documents may need to have certified translations, preferably from a translation service Philippines-based agencies and embassies trust for their track record. These are the common primary and secondary documents that usually need to be translated:
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate and Divorce Documents (if applicable)
- Police Records (i.e., NBI and Police Clearance)
- Bank Statements
To be sure, check with the concerned authorities such as your employment agency, the relevant foreign embassy, POEA, the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW), and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) for translation and authentication requirements (i.e., notarized certificates).
If your documents are in a local language, translate them to English or your host country's language and provide a certified translation certificate
What are the Benefits of Translation Services for OFWs?
Hiring a trusted translations company to provide bona fide translation services helps close the communication gap between the applicant and the potential employer. Here’s why getting professional native speakers to translate document requirements for you can be highly beneficial:
- Precision in Communication. Correct translations prevent any misunderstandings that would make the applicant unqualified.
- Cultural Awareness. Nuanced translations take into account the cultural variations between two countries, bridging the gap between cultures as well.
- Professionalism. Employers can tell that a candidate takes the hiring process seriously if they prepare their documents through a professional translation service.
- Legal Obligation. Certain documents must be translated in some countries as a legal requirement for employment.
- Competitive Advantage. Using a certified translation service gives an applicant a competitive edge over others who may not have taken the time or effort to have their documents professionally translated, especially in high-demand positions.
Certified Translation Services for OFW Documents
Beyond knowing the essential paperwork, it’s also vital to ensure your documents’ validity and alignment with your host country’s language requirements.
Taking the time to hire a professional translation service sends the message that you respect these application procedures and your employer’s culture, proving that you’re truly qualified to make a living abroad.
By properly preparing your documents, translations included, you can further avoid delays and complications in the application process and ensure a smoother transition to working overseas.
We at Elite Translations can connect you to our professional translators who can help with your international application procedures. In addition to utmost accuracy—we offer FREE revisions—we also have a stringent data privacy and security policy, ensuring that your vital information is in safe hands. Get a FREE quote from Elite Translations now!
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get a document certified for translation?
To get a certified translation for your document, you need to work with a translations company duly recognized by agencies, embassies, and other organizations. Elite Translations issues a certificate of true translation with ALL translated documents and has years of experience doing so.
What is the cost of certified translation services?
Rates vary depending on the length and topic of the file you need translated. Elite Translations offers flexible and affordable pricing options—we charge either per page or per word based on the submitted file.
What is the turnaround time for certified translation services?
Elite Translations can deliver your translated documents within a week, depending on the volume of the document. For rush translations, you can get them in 2-3 days.